OTN – the Optical Transport Network described in ITU G.709 standard, also called as “digital wrapper” is a next-generation, industry-standard protocol providing an efficient and accepted worldwide way to multiplex services onto optical light paths. It enables network operators the networks converging through seamless transport of the numerous types of legacy protocols, and therefore providing the required flexibility for the support of future client protocols.
The in-depth multiplexing capability of OTN lets different traffic types: Ethernet, data storage, streaming video, as well as SONET/SDH protocol to be carried over a single Optical Transport Unit (OTU) frame, starting form OTU-1 at 2.7 Gb/s, and up to OTU-4 at 112 Gb/s speed.
Additionally to multiplexing services, protocol adapts to rapidly-changing customer requirements and ensures more effecient optical network management. The protocol allows full performance-monitoring of all above mentioned. Protocal is best for carrying 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) and it also allows operators an optimal model for performance managment and troubleshooting for Ethernet services.
As OTN is a fully-transparent protocol, customizing the current service appears to be pretty simple. Protocol leaves existing OSS/BSS solutions intact. It also utilizes all available tools and automation, and almost does not require the retraining of the personnel. OTN’s cost effectiveness, simple implementation, and low level of complexity allows ready to go, easy solution for evolving network needs to the companies.
- Insulates the network against uncertain service mix through passing the transparent native delivery of signals and encapsulating all client-management information
- Performs multiplexing for optimum capacity utilization, therefore enhancing network efficiency
- Allows network scalability and also support for dedicated Ethernet services with service definitions from 1GbE to 100GbE
- Allows multi-layer performance monitoring and improved maintenance capability for signals traversing different operator networks
- Allows mesh connectivity in automatic mode and 50ms mesh restoration for Ethernet, OTN, SONET and SDH clients when combined with an intelligent control plane